Wednesday 13 December 2006

"AH DUNNO!"

What’s a poor wee brown furry mole of an anticant to do? [I am NOT a rabbit, by the way, even if I do rabbit on a bit sometimes.] Leaping eagerly to embrace Ginger’s suggestion of an ongoing chat thread, I find myself knocked sideways by Zola, who thinks the idea is a bit of a killjoy.

Well, it’s my burrow and I don’t think a tad of tidiness is amiss. I don’t want to go wandering off along the river bank for a while and find dulce domum in such a mess on my return that I have to enlist the spring cleaning services of Rat, Badger, Mr Toad, and – heaven forbid – the Weasels from the Wild Wood.

So I’m adopting Ginger’s suggestion, and shall post an “Ah Dunno!” blank thread every morning to serve as the burrow’s broom cupboard. All Awkward Squadders, Tyger [whether he decides to join the AS or not], and other visitors are welcome to drop in anytime for mulled wine, nuts, and gossip. But no more fucknoses, please, Zola.

The idea is to keep subject threads from wandering too far afield, as they often rapidly do. What, I am asking myself, has Donald Rumsfeld to do with Zola’s grandma’s knickers? We shall probably never know, and Rummy isn’t likely to confess, though it’s pretty obvious from some of his ‘sayings’ that he frequently can't tell whether it’s fish or Tuesday, as they used to say when I was little.

I never understood what that meant. Still less the inscrutable riddle: “why is a mouse when it spins?” The ‘answer’ was “the higher the fewer”. Put this bird-brained little mole into a right spin, that one did! Maybe some of you can unravel it? Ah dunno.

15 comments:

jo said...

Well, you can't get any more systematic than that now, can you ?

zola a social thing said...

Read your stuff I do.
Like it too.

anticant said...

Well, that's a fine start! That medicine must be really strong stuff. Can I get it here on the NHS?

I'm beginning to wonder whether you really are sitting in a northern Finnish sauna, surrounded by snow and reindeer, or if you're a miserable fantasising transvestite sadly wearing your grandma's knickers in a garret in Bermondsey?

Ah dunno.....

Anonymous said...

Now that you've given permission for us to go off-topic...

The King Edward pub in Islington, AC. My grandparents used to own it, I'm told. Way, way back. Yet I was also told this morning that the British gay rights movement was born in its living room upstairs. Is there an ounce of truth to any of this?

zola a social thing said...

Dunno

Anonymous said...

Notice : the main man in the Heathrow Spoof is not to be proceeded against on the main charge.
Lesser charges to follow, no doubt.
Defrauding Social Security etc.
Impersonating a Bishop.
Improper use of a Burqa.
Jeez, it is only a matter of time before they come to get me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, BWI - was too enthusiastic and jumped in too soon.
Re : your question?.
Should be able to get the answer from amonst this motley crew, no doubting.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to see, Merkin, if anticant had any recollections of it from his crusading days. (Something I can dine out on over this Xmas, something to shock the extended family...)

Bloody hell ... Yet, I think with all that incompetence, Merkin, you're kind of safe.

anticant said...

What crusading days, BWI? I'm just a cuddly little mole in a hole.

Ah dunno about your grandparents, but if you mean the King Edward VI I believe it was the favourite pub of the late Denis Lemon, onetime editor of "Gay News". Allan Horsfall, Martin Stafford, and other survivors will claim that the gay rights movement was born in Manchester way back in the 1960s when the forerunner of CHE was established under the wing of the C of E [yes, really]. Jeffrey Weeks is probably the best arbiter. Have a look at the "Knitting Circle" website.

Anonymous said...

BWI - remember, though, from one of Swags posts who The Merkin's hero is?
The Good Soldier Svejk by Hasek.

jo said...

Butting in here....as Merkin pointed out, the Heathrow scare is turning out, with time, to have been a damp squib after all (the main Pakistani suspect being a criminal with no terrorist ties), so it leaves my question on the Spooks thread unanswered :
Are they doing this to
a)to drum up support for the British army in Afghanistan and Irak with a pointedly skeptical public ?
b)to join the White House-inspired fearmongering campaign to promote the Culture Wars - including bombing Iran and increasing troops in Irak(there is a direct link between this campaign and the National Security Council, if anyone's interested) ?
c) to convince us to give up even more of our freedoms in order to prepare the instruments of control they are going to need when the coming Peak Oil crisis surfaces and half of the population find their savings have gone up in smoke ?

Or are there even spookier reasons ?

SUGGESTION - if you wish to discuss this, let's continue on the Spook thread, to keep some sort of public order and avoid rogue debates, what ?

Anonymous said...

Agree with you totally, GingerOne.
Problem is to get the system working as this is relatively new for this site. As always, balance will be achieved.

anticant said...

Am going off gallivanting for an hour or two, so keep the burrow decent while I'm away, you lot. [sgd.] Nanny anticant

anticant said...

Goodness - that seems to have shut 'em all up! I'm back now. You can come out to play again.

Anonymous said...

Coooo-eeeee!
Be back soon though.
Did you get my email, incidentally?
Was maked with subject line Woolwich or Southwark or something equally anonymous?.
Back later. Needs must.